Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Search For Peace

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday. At some point, we stopped going every Sunday and only went during Christmas Eve and Easter. By the time I was in my late twenties, I stopped going to church and had little interest in “my religion.” I then made some bad choices in my life (mainly with relationships), and thought that this is what I deserved. After ending the worst relationship of my life, I decided to leave Dallas, TX (which is where I had lived the past 10 years), and decided to start a new life in Arizona. I moved to Phoenix in 1999 where my sister resided.

I wanted “peace” in my life and wanted to “find myself.” I was in desperate need of wanting some kind of spirituality. I visited Buddhist temples, Japanese Healing Homes, Unity Church, and other mediation places. I was never satisfied and jealous of my sister who was finding peace at most of these places. We would often go to these places together, and for some reason, people would welcome and accept her instead of me (now I know that I was being protected or maybe these people sensed that I was not satisfied with their beliefs). At times, I even experienced migraines after meditations. To me, this was not “peace.”

During my search, I was working at the Make A Wish Foundation and met a co-worker who seemed to always be at peace with his life. He told me he was Christian, but I did not fully know what that meant. I had known Christians in the past, and unfortunately, they were always judgmental of others. But, this guy laid it all out for me. He answered all my questions and even gave me my first Bible.

I prayed for God to reveal himself to me. It was a long battle because I refused to have someone else be in control of my life. I also started to have feelings for the person who was witnessing to me, BUT, I knew he was already a Christian, and I wasn’t. I prayed to God all the time and asked him “why did you bring this person in my life”? He was so different from others that I had dated in the past. I now know that God meant to bring us together, not only to have us be united as one (in marriage) but also to have him witness to me! 

I came to Christ in April of 2001. I feel closer to God than ever and desire to have Jesus be my main focus in life. I want to continue an intimate relationship with Him and continue to grow. I thank God for Johnny who I not only fell in love with, but who told me truth. God protected me during my “search” and for that I am extremely grateful!

Christina 

(accepted Christ in 2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment